+ Antworten
Seite 1 von 11 12345 ... LetzteLetzte

Unhappy in the US?

1. #1 Unhappy in the US?
    Happytree87

Unhappy in the US?

Hi everyone,

I have been living in the USA for exactly a year now. I moved here from Germany to get married to my husband. I was never a real USA-fanatic but neither was I very reluctant to go move to the US. Now I find myself being very, very unhappy and feeling more home-sickness than anything else. My husband is treating me very well and we are in a good financial position, both have good jobs etc., but I cannot see myself staying here for the rest of my life. I have problems finding friends here because of some of the people's attitudes (i know i know you can find this all over the world), I miss my home and my family and friends so much that the only time I am happy is when I think about Germany.
    I expected it to be hard at first and I want to make it work for my husband and myself but I am so unhappy that if I had the choice right now I would totally move back to Germany (with my hubby of course).

My question is whether any of you guys have the same problem or whether its really just the first year or whatever and things change? Does anyone have a tip what I could do to feel more home or get more open-minded or something like that?

Hope to find someone who knows what the heck Im talking about

Thanks in advance

2.   Alt 
    Werbung

3. #2 Unhappy in the US?
    Gast17468
    I myself had always been very unhappy in Germany, and feel totally happy here. Homesickness, in 15 years, I've only experienced it the few times I had to go to Germany for a week and wanted to come back to Oregon.
    But - I have a friend in Ohio, she is very home sick. Her husband has lived with her in Germany for a long time, and now wanted to come back home, and they have 2 boys who are doing so much better here in school. She goes back and forth, and is probably going to ruin the family both financially, and otherwise. If she goes on like this, her husband might just give up on her.
    What I mean is, you'll have to decide what your priorities are.
    Do you want to stay here with your husband, then you will have to look towards the future, and not back to Germany, and try to make it right.
    Maybe some therapy could help with better adapting to your new life.

Or go back, if your husband will go with you - good for you, if not, you will need to make a choice about your happiness. Is it your family that makes you happy or a country.
    Geändert von Gast17468 (19.07.2009 um 06:13 Uhr)

4. #3 Unhappy in the US?
    Toapert
    Hello Happytree,

can you afford trips back home? That should help.

I used to feel the way you do, but over time it has changed. Particularly since time hasn't stood still in Germany either. So many things have changed, that now I feel a bit lost during my trips.

Give yourself some more time

5. #4 Unhappy in the US?
    SaBine44
    Zitat Zitat von Happytree87 Beitrag anzeigen
    Hi everyone,

I have been living in the USA for exactly a year now. I moved here from Germany to get married to my husband. I was never a real USA-fanatic but neither was I very reluctant to go move to the US. Now I find myself being very, very unhappy and feeling more home-sickness than anything else. My husband is treating me very well and we are in a good financial position, both have good jobs etc., but I cannot see myself staying here for the rest of my life. I have problems finding friends here because of some of the people's attitudes (i know i know you can find this all over the world), I miss my home and my family and friends so much that the only time I am happy is when I think about Germany.
    I expected it to be hard at first and I want to make it work for my husband and myself but I am so unhappy that if I had the choice right now I would totally move back to Germany (with my hubby of course).

My question is whether any of you guys have the same problem or whether its really just the first year or whatever and things change? Does anyone have a tip what I could do to feel more home or get more open-minded or something like that?

Hope to find someone who knows what the heck Im talking about

Thanks in advance

mensch mensch mensch................ganz ehrlich, du tust mir echt leid!
    wie willst du das denn in den griff bekommen?

puhhhh............

6. #5 Unhappy in the US?
    Charlie
    Sabine, this is the English only section...no German, please

7. #6 Unhappy in the US?
    McKey

Poor girl...

..but what do you want us to say?
    You have to make a decision.
    Maybe the thought that you can go home anytime you want might help you.
    And be honest with yourself - is the reason really being homesick or do you have problems in you marriage?
    You said, your husband treats you really well - how can it be that you love Germany more than him then?

8. #7 Unhappy in the US?
    BieneMaja
    At the very beginning I felt like this too. I wasn't really homesick, I just had problems getting along with people. Everyone was always so fiendly to me in the US, but after a while I realized that people are nice but not necessarily warm-hearted. That was difficult for me and sometime still is. I had tons of friends in Austria, that was never a problem for me. I'm really outgoing, happy, and I am young, but when I came here I encountered a lot of problems. I didn't understand why I never had problems finding friends in Austria, and why I met so many people in the US and I could never imagine having them as my best friends?! Maybe this sounds weird but this is just the way I feel.

What helps me a lot is VONAGE! I pay 5 Dollars a month extra and I can call my family in Austria as often, as much and as long as I want. I basically know everything about them, which makes it easier to be so far away...
    This is actually the only advise I can give you. You will always miss your family and friends, but calling them as often as possible helps a lot!

9. #8 Unhappy in the US?
    SaBine44
    Zitat Zitat von Mat-Su Beitrag anzeigen
    Sabine, this is the English only section...no German, please

ups - sorry!!!!!!

+ Antworten
Seite 1 von 11 12345 ... LetzteLetzte

Weitere Themen von Happytree87

1. Antworten: 3
    Letzter Beitrag: 29.06.2009, 06:14

Andere Themen im Forum English only

1. English speaker learning German
    I'm an American college student halfway through...
    von Core17
    Antworten: 19
    Letzter Beitrag: 12.07.2013, 09:49
  2. German sayings translated in English
    Hi, I thought since we have a thread with English...
    von Anny2808
    Antworten: 16
    Letzter Beitrag: 29.03.2010, 15:07
  3. 10 favorite states... 10 least favorite states
    The USA has 50 states. I am curious... ...
    von AmericaninGermany
    Antworten: 31
    Letzter Beitrag: 11.10.2009, 09:03
  4. Can you please proofread this German letter for me?
    Hey guys, can you please read over this and point...
    von Diggadog
    Antworten: 4
    Letzter Beitrag: 13.06.2009, 18:09
  5. I was wondering if I could say this:
    Hey guys! I was wondering if I could say...
    von rainkissin
    Antworten: 20
    Letzter Beitrag: 10.06.2009, 19:49
Sie betrachten gerade Unhappy in the US?.