1. Can you please proofread this and/or give me some advice? # 1
    GermanNat

Can you please proofread this and/or give me some advice?

Hello everybody

I am working on my Dr.arbeit right now and my tutor asked me to think of 4 sentences regarding the introduction of a new set of questions. The Dr. Arbeit consist of a survey that will be conducted worldwide and in English as well as in German. Here's what I came up with:

In this chapter, we are interested to inquire about standard procedures and therefore would kindly ask you to provide data regarding previous surgeries. For a few (limited) questions it is of (high) interest to provide basic statics which may require you to review files or consult with a statistician. We tried to narrow these question down to a few essential ones for you. Thank you very much for your collaboration!

In diesem Abschnitt sind wir daran interessiert jetzige Standards abzufragen(?) und möchten Sie deshalb bitten Daten bezüglich abgelaufenen Operationen bereitzustellen. Für ein paar beschränkte(?) Frage ist es von (großem) Interesse grundlegende statistische Angaben zu machen, die es notwendig machen können Akten durchzusehen oder einen Statistiker hinzuzuziehen. Wir haben uns bemüht diese auf einige essentielle Fragen zu begrenzen. Vielen Dank für Ihre Mitarbeit!

The translation has to be 1:1. I think it still sounds a little too informal and choppy. Maybe you have some advice what I could try to do in order to improve it?

Thank you already SO much for your help!!!

2.   Alt 
    Werbung

3. Can you please proofread this and/or give me some advice? # 2
    Mycraft
    In diesem Teil sind wir daran interessiert das Standartprozedere bezüglich vorhergehender Operationen abzufragen und möchten Sie bitten uns diese Informationen zur verfügung zu stellen.

Für ein paar (wenige) Fragen ist es (höchst) notwendig statistische Daten bereitzuhalten was ein Nachschauen in ihren Unterlagen oder die Hinzuziehung eines Statistikers unvermeidbar macht.

Wir haben uns bemüht solche Fragen zu vermeiden und haben diese auf nur wenige essentielle begrenzt. Vielen Dank!

4. Can you please proofread this and/or give me some advice? # 3
    GermanNat
    vielen Dank, mycraft... da sind ein paar gute Vorschläge dabei.

Ist die englische Version (die hab ich mir auch selbst überlegt) ok so (grammatikalisch und formal)?

5. Can you please proofread this and/or give me some advice? # 4
    Americanet
    Zitat Zitat von GermanNat Beitrag anzeigen
    For a few (limited) questions it is of (high) interest to provide basic statics which may require you to review files or consult with a statistician.
    Das würde ich so schreiben:

For a limited number of questions, basic statistical figures are of high interest which may require you to....

6. Can you please proofread this and/or give me some advice? # 5
    GermanNat
    Zitat Zitat von Americanet Beitrag anzeigen
    Das würde ich so schreiben:

For a limited number of questions, basic statistical figures are of high interest which may require you to....
    Danke für den Tipp... hab dann doch eine Freundin (die Dolm. ist) gebeten darüber zuschauen. Bin schon die ganze Zeit verzweifelt auf der Suche nach einem Knopf, womit ich meinen Eintrag wieder löschen kann

7. Can you please proofread this and/or give me some advice? # 6
    Just Bob
    That is indeed awkward, not the last because of the self-imposed (?) objective to translate 1:1 (as you described it so . . . interestingly). Although almost all sentences can be translated quite directly, it often doesn't make sense. Anyone who has ever read an owner's manual in English that was translated by a Chinese translator, will understand the implications I am talking about.

That said, here's my humble attempt to take out some of the awkwardness, following your directive not to the letter, but in spirit.

In this section, we inquire about standard procedures, and thus kindly ask you to provide information of previous surgeries you may have had. For a few questions it is paramount to provide basic facts which may require a review or consult with a professional. We tried to narrow these question down to a few essential ones.
    Thank you very much for your cooperation!

In diesem Abschnitt sind wir daran interessiert aktuelle Daten bezüglich vergangener Operationen, die Sie evtl. gehabt haben, abzufragen. Für einige Fragen ist es von Bedeutung grundlegende statistische Angaben zu erstellen, die es notwendig machen können Akten durchzusehen oder einen Experten zu konsultieren. Wir haben uns bemüht diese auf einige wenige Fragen zu begrenzen.
    Vielen Dank für Ihre Mitarbeit!
    Geändert von Just Bob (22.07.2009 um 22:30 Uhr)

8. Can you please proofread this and/or give me some advice? # 7
    GermanNat
    Zitat Zitat von Just Bob Beitrag anzeigen
    That is indeed awkward, not the last because of the self-imposed (?) objective to translate 1:1 (as you described it so . . . interestingly). Although almost all sentences can be translated quite directly, it often doesn't make sense. Anyone who has ever read an owner's manual in English that was translated by a Chinese translator, will understand the implications I am talking about.

That said, here's my humble attempt to take out some of the awkwardness, following your directive not to the letter, but in spirit.
    Well, I am sorry to say but it's not the patients who I address but rather the MDs After all, would you have any data that would make you able to go to a statistician (Statistiker) just by having had a surgery?!? I don't think so Unfortunately, the 1:1 translation is not my idea- it's a statistical criteria for a Dr. Arbeit. It doesn't mean the literal translation which you compared to a manual that was translated by a Chinese translator (actually, as bad as they are, I can imagine that they just use computer programmes to translate them ) but instead a translation which is close to the original version but hasn't lost meaning within the translation process. Oh well, as I stated in my previous post: I am looking for a nice little button to delete this thread
    Geändert von GermanNat (23.07.2009 um 08:31 Uhr)

9. Can you please proofread this and/or give me some advice? # 8
    Charlie
    Oh well, as I stated in my previous post: I am looking for a nice little button to delete this thread
    Allow me to assist you:

Thread closed.
    (We don't delete threads in this forum, but since the thread will be closed, people won't be able to add to it anymore).

Gruss,

Charlie

Thema geschlossen