+ Antworten
  1. English speaker learning German # 1
    Core17

English speaker learning German

I'm an American college student halfway through my second semester of German. There are a lot of things I'm struggling with that my other classmates seem to have down pretty well, such as conjugation and word order.

I'm trying to immerse myself in the language, listening to German music, watching German movies, and trying to decipher news stories and such.

One thing I'd really like to find is a forum for learning German as a second language. I think the best way for me to learn is to communicate with other people in German. Forums such as this one are great for reading, but I feel way too intimidated to actually try and talk, as it's far too advanced for me!

Does anyone here have any site suggestions for me?

2.   Alt 
    Werbung

3. English speaker learning German # 2
    Charlie
    I don't know of such a forum, but how about looking for a German penpal on the internet? You could either specify that you want to communicate only in German, or you both could take turns in English and German, thus benefiting both your language abilities. There are several penpal sites, just g**gle "German penpal" or something like that

Good luck,

Charlie

4. English speaker learning German # 3
    Gast10602
    Zitat Zitat von Core17 Beitrag anzeigen
    I'm an American college student halfway through my second semester of German. There are a lot of things I'm struggling with that my other classmates seem to have down pretty well, such as conjugation and word order.

I'm trying to immerse myself in the language, listening to German music, watching German movies, and trying to decipher news stories and such.

One thing I'd really like to find is a forum for learning German as a second language. I think the best way for me to learn is to communicate with other people in German. Forums such as this one are great for reading, but I feel way too intimidated to actually try and talk, as it's far too advanced for me!

try the craig list.
    there you will find german speaking groups/ germans etc.

5. English speaker learning German # 4
    Charlie
    Oh, if you're looking for "live" groups, meetup.com would be a good source as well....look for "German" in your zipcode area

6. English speaker learning German # 5
    seabreeze
    Forums such as this one are great for reading, but I feel way too intimidated to actually try and talk, as it's far too advanced for me!
    I found that trying to talk the language is the best way of learning and starting to feel comfortable.
    My son used to just listen to my family in Germany but was afraid to say something, because he didn't want to be embarrassed. Last summer he threw all caution to the wind and couldn't stop speaking German. Everybody was totally surprised...LOL.

Good luck in your studies!

7. English speaker learning German # 6
    Schwesterrabiata
    I am always impressed when peole are learning German.

Why don't you just try to communicate with us? It is just a writing not a speaking so you can think over your posting, use an online dictionary and correct mistakes. You have already found this site and managed to register. So go for it!:-)

I even learn from my English speaking friends in Facebook.

8. English speaker learning German # 7
    Core17
    Zitat Zitat von seabreeze Beitrag anzeigen
    I found that trying to talk the language is the best way of learning and starting to feel comfortable.
    My son used to just listen to my family in Germany but was afraid to say something, because he didn't want to be embarrassed. Last summer he threw all caution to the wind and couldn't stop speaking German. Everybody was totally surprised...LOL.

Good luck in your studies!
    I do try to speak it when I can, but other than in German class, I don't really have many people to speak it with!

9. English speaker learning German # 8
    Gast415

How far away are you from Chicago? the German Cultural Institute, the Goethe Institut is down town on Michigan Avenue. They have a lot of different programs for people like you!

http://www.goethe.de/ins/us/chi/enindex.htm

+ Antworten