1. Immigrant veterans suing over tuition waiver denial # 1
    texan

Immigrant veterans suing over tuition waiver denial

Immigrant veterans suing over tuition waiver | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Front page

June 29, 2007, 12:48PM
    Immigrant veterans suing over tuition waiver denial

By ROSANNA RUIZ
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Hispanic civil rights groups are railing against the state's denial of Hazelwood Act college benefits to thousands of mostly Hispanic Texas veterans because of their legal status.
    The League of United Latin American Citizens joined the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund's federal lawsuit against the state, which was filed in San Antonio Thursday. Houston's LULAC leaders today asked that veterans who were legal permanent residents when they enlisted come forward to join their suit.

"Thousands of soldiers are coming back and are being blind-sided by the fact that they will not get this benefit," said Jose L. Jimenez, Jr., LULAC's district director in Houston.

He said measures to make legal residents eligible for the college benefits, sponsored by Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, D-San Antonio, and Rep. Rick Noriega, D-Houston, failed during the last Legislature session.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of Raul Dominguez and Naser Alzer, both honorably discharged veterans and the American GI Forum of Texas, a veterans advocacy group. Both plaintiffs are college graduates who have exhausted their GI Bill money. They now want to seek master's degrees.

The suit seeks to reverse some veterans exclusion from the benefits of the Hazelwood Act, which exempts qualified Texas veterans and dependents from all tuition and fee charges, except property deposit fees and student services fees at state colleges and universities. Nearly 9,000 veterans benefited from the Hazelwood exemption in fiscal year 2005, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

Before 2006, public institutions in Texas gave the Hazelwood benefit to all qualifying veterans regardless of whether they were U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents when they entered the military. The change came from an August 2005 attorney general's opinion saying the Hazelwood Act phrase "citizen of Texas" should be interpreted as a person who lives in the state and is a U.S. citizen.

This article contains information from The Associated Press.

rosanna.ruiz@chron.com

2.   Alt 
    Werbung

3. Immigrant veterans suing over tuition waiver denial # 2
    Gast24074
    oh well, I guess they should become citizens. Thats all I can say.

4. Immigrant veterans suing over tuition waiver denial # 3
    texan
    Zitat Zitat von Inge_je Beitrag anzeigen
    Lese Dir den Artikel erst mal richtig durch, that's all I have to say to you.

Nick

5. Immigrant veterans suing over tuition waiver denial # 4
    Janet1983
    Zitat Zitat von Inge_je Beitrag anzeigen
    How'd you come up with that one? They are putting their lives on the line for the United States and it shouldn't matter whether or not they are "just" permanent residents or citizens... They fought for this country and they should get the same benefits as their peers.

6. Immigrant veterans suing over tuition waiver denial # 5
    Emmaglamour
    Zitat Zitat von Janet1983 Beitrag anzeigen
    How'd you come up with that one? They are putting their lives on the line for the United States and it shouldn't matter whether or not they are "just" permanent residents or citizens... They fought for this country and they should get the same benefits as their peers.
    The posting you refered to is about 2.5 years old...

+ Antworten