+ Antworten
  1. Energy - alternative ways # 1
    ToThePoint

Energy - alternative ways

So BP messed up in Alaska and spilled oil due to lack of attention to their pipeline system. This occurs in a time where oil companies post record profits. Now the latter is not a problem as a business is in business for that purpose... however... let's look at it this way: imagine you run a construction project, and a contractor drives up to your job site in a R&R, causes an accident which stops your construction project for months due to neglect of their tools, well, if I was the project manager, I would fire the contractor and go after them for liquidated damages.
    Obviously it's not that easy, as this contractor is the only show in town, which, going back to the original problem, means it's time to seriously look at changing our ways of energy useage and supply. I believe a serious push to conserve energy and jump-start the use of alternative sources of energy is overdue. Sorry V8 and SUV fans, it's time to find other toys...

2.   Alt 
    Werbung

3. Energy - alternative ways # 2
    VegasGirl
    Your last sentence is not entirely true since there are already quite a few SUsVs out there that use alternative fuels... hybrids, electric vehicles, propane and even vegetable oil driven. The problem is not so much that people aren't willing to look for alternatives, it's that it's still cheaper to run on gas than making the switch. What needs to be done is that these alternative fuels are supported by the government and in effect industries more heavily... but guess where the problem with that lies, who's putting a leash on that?

4. Energy - alternative ways # 3
    Gast10602
    hello tothepoint,

you're right. bad business pratice from bp. they should be brought to court.

Sorry V8 and SUV fans, it's time to find other toys...

that statement, and/or to think that v8/ suv are responsible for the us oil consumption is kindergarten, and you know it.

greetings

5. Energy - alternative ways # 4
    ToThePoint
    Zitat Zitat von heiner Beitrag anzeigen
    that statement, and/or to think that v8/ suv are responsible for the us oil consumption is kindergarten, and you know it.
    To throw a bone... however... if that can change most anything else can as well

6. Energy - alternative ways # 5
    Gast10602
    Zitat Zitat von ToThePoint Beitrag anzeigen
    To throw a bone... however... if that can change most anything else can as well

hello tothepoint,

i am with you, that we should/ have to look at alternatives very soon. holding a group of v8/ suv owner responsible/ accountable for failed alternative fuel research is wrong.
    may be the high gas prices will start a new serious movment.

greetings

ps: what do you suggest is acceptable...4 cylinder, 50 hp? if higher power needed (more gas consumption) trucks, busses etc who gets a permit for it, based on what?

may be we should have do not drive weekends like germany had back then? even/ uneven numbers

7. Energy - alternative ways # 6
    Ulrich-TX
    So BP messed up in Alaska and spilled oil due to lack of attention to their pipeline system.
    Uhm... No. Contrary to the simplistic way the press presents its "information", there has not been a spill around the pipeline last week that led to shutting down the pipeline.

There was a leak about three or four months ago, which initiated the inspections that now led to the shutdown in to replace a couple of miles of the pipem in anticipation of any future issues, but there has not been another leak "due to lack of attention".

Also, it is incorrect when people say that there have not been any inspections for 16 years. There have been regular fly-overs and external inspections of the pipeline (you would expect corrosion to form on the outside of above-ground pipelines), in line with industry norms. Internal inspections (sending so-called "smart pigs" through the pipeline) are usually only conducted on underground or off-shore pipelines. While it is known that crude oil has corrosive characteristic, I think everybody was surprised by the extent to which internal corrosion took place.

8. Energy - alternative ways # 7
    ToThePoint
    Zitat Zitat von Ulrich-TX Beitrag anzeigen
    there has not been a spill around the pipeline
    Thanks for the clarification. I never liked the simplistic ways of our press.
    I think everybody was surprised by the extent to which internal corrosion took place.
    Safe the details - they didn't know what they were doing, the point remains intact.

@heiner - I run a 4cyl and am quite happy with it. If you can't live without the halo feel, dream about this: http://www.meyersmanx.com/
    Or get one, I might.
    For now, an effort to conserve energy would bring the best results. Not only does it safe the consumer the extra dollars straight. On a big scale, it puts resource back in the system, keeping supplies and possibly prices lower. Do we need the government to regulate or the markets take care of things? As much as I do not like the lying, cheating, criminal ways of our government (I talk about Nixon so we don't get sidetracked (;->) - who needs more of that?) - the market will not do it alone IMO, so regulations are needed. First corrective action: Remove favoring SUVs in tax writeoffs for businesses and self-employed. Not that it would be all downhill from there...

9. Energy - alternative ways # 8
    Gast10602
    Thanks for the clarification. I never liked the simplistic ways of our press.
    Safe the details - they didn't know what they were doing, the point remains intact.

@heiner - I run a 4cyl and am quite happy with it. If you can't live without the halo feel, dream about this: http://www.meyersmanx.com/
    Or get one, I might.
    For now, an effort to conserve energy would bring the best results. Not only does it safe the consumer the extra dollars straight. On a big scale, it puts resource back in the system, keeping supplies and possibly prices lower. Do we need the government to regulate or the markets take care of things? As much as I do not like the lying, cheating, criminal ways of our government (I talk about Nixon so we don't get sidetracked (;->) - who needs more of that?) - the market will not do it alone IMO, so regulations are needed. First corrective action: Remove favoring SUVs in tax writeoffs for businesses and self-employed. Not that it would be all downhill from there...

hello tothepoint,

well, if they make one with big doors, so i can get my belly in, why not...

greetings

+ Antworten