+ Antworten
12345 ...
  1. China - not a country for dog lovers # 1
    Charlie

China - not a country for dog lovers

This article was printed in our newspaper today:

SHANGHAI - China slaughtered 50,000 dogs in a government-ordered crackdown after three people died of rabies, sparking unusually pointed criticism in state media Tuesday and an outcry from animal rights activists.

Health experts said the brutal policy pointed to deep weaknesses in the health care infrastructure in China, where only 3 percent of dogs are vaccinated against rabies and more than 2,000 people die of the disease each year.

The five-day slaughter in Mouding county in Yunnan province in southwestern China ended Sunday and spared only military guard dogs and police canine units, state media reported.

Dogs being walked were seized from their owners and beaten to death on the spot.

(Source: Anchorage Daily News, August 2, 2006)

Reading this article made me sad, but also soooooo angry. People don't vaccinate their pets, and the pets are being slaughtered.....and in such a humane way as well.

I knew before that I'd never set foot on Chinese soil, but news like that always remind me of some of the reasons why

2.   Alt 
    Werbung

3. China - not a country for dog lovers # 2
    imported_Ariane
    this must have been published in about any newspaper worldwide (((asked google)))... but - where are those to stand up for these dogs worldwide, except for a few in some bigger cities in China itself?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060731...naanimalhealth

I would visit China, but I wouldn't eat anything but rice and veggies there (don't want to see kitties / dogs / rats on my plate... .. ...)

4. China - not a country for dog lovers # 3
    Isodora
    My sister - being an animal lover - and me - being a dog owner - agree on one thing: we will never go to China....

5. China - not a country for dog lovers # 4
    Gast23013
    My husband told me about this slaughter today. Man, we got so mad.

A friend of mine who worked for a German company in China sent me pictures of a "farmer's market" there. I won't tell you what part of dogs they offer there.....it made me sick.

6. China - not a country for dog lovers # 5
    solaris
    My Husband told me about this, when he came home, so I would not be so shocked.
    I wanted to cry, I am sooooooo angry, soooo disgusted, sooooo insanely MAAAADDD.
    MY Husband and I hugged our pack and shook our heads.
    Unbelievable, no one, would ever do that to our babies.

7. China - not a country for dog lovers # 6
    Charlie
    Zitat Zitat von solaris
    Unbelievable, no one, would ever do that to our babies.
    If you had been walking your babies IN CHINA last week, I don't think you could have stopped them......

So let's be very thankful that we live in a country which - even though animal rights COULD be improved a lot here as well - does not allow this kind of abominable treatment of our canine family members....

8. China - not a country for dog lovers # 7
    Gast10602
    even i agree with all of you, if that is what has to be done, then it has to be done.
    thats one reason why americans are not liked in other countries. we're telling them what they have to do.
    china is an underdeveloped country, they do it their way.

greetings

9. China - not a country for dog lovers # 8
    Charlie
    Zitat Zitat von heiner
    thats one reason why americans are not liked in other countries. we're telling them what they have to do.
    china is an underdeveloped country, they do it their way.
    If you use that kind of reasoning, then someone in Germany about 60 years ago could have kept on slaughtering as well, since it was "his country" and no one should have interfered or "told them what to do"....??

Of course, different countries have different policies but no country should disregard the rights of people or animals that blatantly (and China does it in both cases...of people AND animals).

+ Antworten
12345 ...