relocating back to the United States

1. #1 relocating back to the United States
    jilkgyuro

relocating back to the United States

Hi everyone,

This is my first time here...

My question is: I have two cats, live in Germany relocating back to the United States. Does anyone know the best way (which airlines) will exept 2 cats in the cabin? I really don't want to put them in cargo.

Thanks for your help,

Jil K. Gyuro

2.   Alt 
    Werbung

3. #2 relocating back to the United States
    Muus
    Hi Jil

Do you speak german too? If so...there are a lot of tips already about cats and travelling..

If you check under

Tipps...

I travelled with Swiss... and once with Lufthansa (only with the dogs)

Lufthansa has great prices for animals... and if you get a big Kennel you can have the two cats together in Cargo.

American Airlines are a bit of a risk in summer... if you have a stop in between... if it is too hot, they won't let the animals fly.

Hope I could help a bit..

4. #3 relocating back to the United States
    Charlie
    Hi Jil,

are you traveling alone or together with someone else?

If you're alone, the airlines will not let you take BOTH cats into the cabin (one pet per person).

If you are two people travelling, call the airline and make the reservation for the cats in the cabin BEFORE finishing your own reservation, since the airlines only allow a limited number of pets into the cabin.

Personally, I prefer Lufthansa for travelling with pets, and I absolutely dislike US Airways and American Airlines. (But, as I said, that's just my opinion )

Many American Airlines have the heat embargos which Muus already mentioned, so check the time of year and the temperatures at the location you're flying to.

Good luck,

CW

5. #4 relocating back to the United States
    Muus
    Also... if you are 2 people travelling... and you are able to take the cats inside... think about it this way...

It will cost you for sure more taking them with you than one big Kennel with the 2 cats together in Cargo.

The cats have less space (ok.. they are with you)

YOU have NO space for your legs... and if you have to travel for many hours... that might not be a lot of fun.

I had 2 cats in the Kennel and one in a Softbag... and the cats in the Kennel were much happier and under less stress than the other one. For a long flight.. I would NEVER take cats with me as hand luggage.. ONLY cargo.

6. #5 relocating back to the United States
    Charlie
    Zitat Zitat von Muus
    For a long flight.. I would NEVER take cats with me as hand luggage.. ONLY cargo.
    Personal preference

I, on the other hand, would NEVER have my cats travel as cargo.

After you hand them over, you have no control over what they do with them before the plane is being loaded. The cat carriers might have to sit in an extremely loud area, or in an area where it is too hot/too cold/drafty, etc. All of those conditions could seriously traumatize or otherwise harm my pets.

I am not saying that travelling in the cabin is a piece of cake for the cats. But at least I am right there to make sure that they are not cold (= blanket over carrier), I am able to talk to them and reassure them with my voice, etc.

Having an umcomfortable flight myself is a small price to pay for knowing my cats are right there with me, under MY control, and that I am able to look out for their well-being.

Another advantage of having them with you: If you have to catch a connecting flight in the US, the cats cannot get lost on their way to the second plane

Well, everybody has to make their own descisions. I am just saying that I always did my very best to have all my pets in the cabin with me (just wish I could have shrunk down the dog to fit the size and weight regulations )

7. #6 relocating back to the United States
    Muus
    Zitat Zitat von CWR2005
    Personal preference

I, on the other hand, would NEVER have my cats travel as cargo.
    Yes of course... you are more in control. But I travelled with stops in between to Miami with 3 cats and a dog and to San Diego with 2 big dogs... and I would just say.. it depense which airline you take. I usually see when they bring the kennel to the plane.

Lufthansa and Swiss have strict rules on how to handle pets. They are in a seperate room till all the luggage is in.. they enter the airplane LAST... they leave the airplane FIRST. Someone is with them waiting for you at the luggage dept. (in the US) When you have a stop in between, a vet is checking on the animals, they get water and maybe some food.. the kennel gets cleaned.

I had a problem with my cat in the plane from Miami over Zuerich home to Israel. We had a "bumpy" flight for about an hour and she was freaking out. She screamed like she is going to die.. and what ever I said, didn't help and ... she got diarrhea. The smell was pretty bad... and I was lucky to have a nice seat neighbour... lol.. but it was a lot of stress for me.

It states that you have to have "your animal under control" if you take it into the plane.. so if you have a cat that is miauing all the time... they might actually make you problems.. of course they can't kick you out.. lol... but.. it is just a thing.. one should think about...

There are pro and con for both.. inside or cargo.

You know your cats best... so you will for sure find the best solution for them and you.

Oh and about..

[Having an umcomfortable flight myself is a small price to pay for knowing my cats are right there with me, under MY control, and that I am able to look out for their well-being.]

I think cats who have a kennel of 100/70/70 cm Kennel do have a nicer flight than in a small softbag... but again ... this is MY personal experience

And my cats love to sleep in the Kennel at home.... so.. no trauma there.. thanks g_d

8. #7 relocating back to the United States
    solaris
    wir sind immer nur mit Hunden geflogen, und sie haben es super ueberstanden .

+ Antworten