+ Antworten
  1. Vatican: Faithful should listen to Science # 1
    Pia

Vatican: Faithful should listen to Science

By Nicole Winfield, Associated Press Writer | November 3, 2005

VATICAN CITY --A Vatican cardinal said Thursday the faithful should listen to what secular modern science has to offer, warning that religion risks turning into "fundamentalism" if it ignores scientific reason.

Cardinal Paul Poupard, who heads the Pontifical Council for Culture, made the comments at a news conference on a Vatican project to help end the "mutual prejudice" between religion and science that has long bedeviled the Roman Catholic Church and is part of the evolution debate in the United States.

The Vatican project was inspired by Pope John Paul II's 1992 declaration that the church's 17th-century denunciation of Galileo was an error resulting from "tragic mutual incomprehension." Galileo was condemned for supporting Nicolaus Copernicus' discovery that the Earth revolved around the sun; church teaching at the time placed Earth at the center of the universe.

"The permanent lesson that the Galileo case represents pushes us to keep alive the dialogue between the various disciplines, and in particular between theology and the natural sciences, if we want to prevent similar episodes from repeating themselves in the future," Poupard said.

But he said science, too, should listen to religion.

"We know where scientific reason can end up by itself: the atomic bomb and the possibility of cloning human beings are fruit of a reason that wants to free itself from every ethical or religious link," he said.

"But we also know the dangers of a religion that severs its links with reason and becomes prey to fundamentalism," he said.

"The faithful have the obligation to listen to that which secular modern science has to offer, just as we ask that knowledge of the faith be taken in consideration as an expert voice in humanity."

Poupard and others at the news conference were asked about the religion-science debate raging in the United States over evolution and "intelligent design."

Intelligent design's supporters argue that natural selection, an element of evolutionary theory, cannot fully explain the origin of life or the emergence of highly complex life forms.

Monsignor Gianfranco Basti, director of the Vatican project STOQ, or Science, Theology and Ontological Quest, reaffirmed John Paul's 1996 statement that evolution was "more than just a hypothesis."

"A hypothesis asks whether something is true or false," he said. "(Evolution) is more than a hypothesis because there is proof."

He was asked about comments made in July by Austrian Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn, who dismissed in a New York Times article the 1996 statement by John Paul as "rather vague and unimportant" and seemed to back intelligent design.

Basti concurred that John Paul's 1996 letter "is not a very clear expression from a definition point of view," but he said evolution was assuming ever more authority as scientific proof develops.

Poupard, for his part, stressed that what was important was that "the universe wasn't made by itself, but has a creator." But he added, "It's important for the faithful to know how science views things to understand better."

The Vatican project STOQ has organized academic courses and conferences on the relationship between science and religion and is hosting its first international conference on "the infinity in science, philosophy and theology," next week.
    http://www.boston.com/news/science/article...science?mode=PF

2.   Alt 
    Werbung

3. Vatican: Faithful should listen to Science # 2
    Caesar_MG
    ??? Can we get some commentary on this???

4. Vatican: Faithful should listen to Science # 3
    Pia
    OMG Caesar! It's an interesting article, and i wanted to share it with somebody. Thats it. Ok, here my comment:

Interesting article, like to share it with you. All right?! Are you after me now or something?

5. Vatican: Faithful should listen to Science # 4
    Caesar_MG
    No, but when you just shotgun blast an article without any commentary, no one has any idea on the view or position you take. After I read it, my initial response was "Ok...and?"

I mean, seriously, think about this: if everyone just shotgunned articles, then there would be no dialogue, no debate. It would just be an endless stream of article upon article, and the discourse would be lost. Basically, we'd be letting the authors of the articles debate thier views, without them even knowing it. It would lead to some pretty BORING conversations.

6. Vatican: Faithful should listen to Science # 5
    SweetSue
    Poupard, for his part, stressed that what was important was that "the universe wasn't made by itself, but has a creator." But he added, "It's important for the faithful to know how science views things to understand better."
    I second this quote. I believe God created the universes and everything that's in it, but it's important for everyone, who believes so, to know what evolution teaches on the contrary as well.

But he said science, too, should listen to religion.
    Well, Bibles are banned from schools, and evolution is taught as if it were the only and absolute truth (although evolutionists themselves claim that evolution is not proved true, but come on, we all know they believe it's true!) So, where does science listen to religion? Nowhere... that's why a bunch of fools comes up with the Spaghetti Monster and stuff like that. Ridiculous.

7. Vatican: Faithful should listen to Science # 6
    imported_henni
    Zitat Zitat von SweetSue
    Well, Bibles are banned from schools, and evolution is taught as if it were the only and absolute truth
    not where i used to study. we had bible studies in the schedules. and every time they taught us bout evolution in science class they said this is ONE possible explanation. ive never heard that in bible class.

8. Vatican: Faithful should listen to Science # 7
    Gast24074
    I believe Science has a place in faith, just like the article states, but I refuse to believe that my creater had no better idea than to produce a monkey first and had me develop from it. Than the next question is, why did human not develop any further? I don't want no answer, please, I don't want to get into evolution versus religion.
    But it is an interesting article.

9. Vatican: Faithful should listen to Science # 8
    solaris
    I am jewish, and I have a totaly different mindset on things.

+ Antworten